Here is what you need to know about WordPress. If you want a spectacular blog, take our word for it–use the plugins we use right here at Under30CEO. Plugins are the little options that are seen on the blog that let you do things like: suggest popular posts, increase search engine optimization, keep your site from crashing, have a vibrant comment system, let users submit your site to digg, share on Twitter, etc. There is a plugin for just about everything. They can help you turn your wordpress site into just about anything you want.
Here is a list of our most suggested plugins and why you need them, so you can be on your way to making money instead of teaching yourself how to be a web designer….
PS. They are all free!
- All in One SEO Pack–search engine optimization is a mystery, let this plugin help you out. It lets you give a nice description and specify keywords to Google. Everyone uses it, it comes highly recommended.
- Disqus Comment System–this is one of the best comment systems out there and it’s really important to start creating a vibrant company. It allows people to login and comment through Facebook and Twitter which humanizes your website and lets you learn about your customer!
- FD Feedburner Plugin–this plugin allows you to count how many people are subscribed to your site and allows them to signup via email or any RSS reader. Everytime you update your site people will be notified! Google owns Feedburner, so you know it’s good. You’ll have to signup first at feedburner.com
- Google Analyticator— Google Analytics has amazing statistics about who is visiting your site, who is clicking what, where they are from and all their demographics. The things you’ll learn about your readers will blow your mind. Sign up first at google.com/analytics
- Google XML Sitemaps–one of the most important parts of Search Engine Optimization is your site map. Google needs to crawl your site, so map it out for them and let them understand where all your pages are. This should help your traffic.
- Popularity Contest— keep people on your site longer by showcasing your best articles. This plugin will enable ranking of your posts by popularity; using the behavior of your visitors to determine each post’s popularity.
- W3 Total Cache— make your site load faster and keep it from crashing if you get a post to go viral. You’ll be happy you have it. There is nothing sadder than making the front page of Digg and having your site go down. Mashable and internet marketing guru John Chow both use this as well as Under30CEO.
- WordPress Database Backup–just do it. You don’t want your site to get erased, it’ll be gone forever (it’s happened to us). Under30CEO has been infected with several viruses since and this plugin has saved us.
- Yet Another Related Posts Plugin–when people are done reading your site you’ll want them to go on to something else that interests them instead of leaving. Keep them on your site longer and increase pageviews.
- Digg Digg— this plugin lets you add social media buttons to your posts. These buttons let your readers do things like share your content on twitter, facebook, stumbleupon, digg, and about 30 other options the plugin gives you.
- Akismet— this will help control spam that can be over-whelming at times in the comments section of a blog.
If this information helped you, sign-up to our email list to get our 5 day e-course on Starting Your Business with Less Money and Fewer Mistakes!Subscribe to the Podcast