I recently heard an astrologist say that 2012 is the Year of Change. The lady suggested that this year is a great year to make changes in your life and business (luckily she didn’t say anything about the world going under, phew).
Her predictions about change made me think about how so many business owners could do with some change. And I mean a serious lifestyle change, not the kind where you go off and Eat Pray Love, but the kind where you get your lifestyle back, however you define lifestyle for yourself.
Your ideal lifestyle may be different to your neighbor’s or friend’s ideal lifestyle (hopefully you and your partner agree on the same ideals).
My ideal lifestyle for example includes going for a surf or a run on the beach every morning, eating healthy food and having the flexibility to work from anywhere.
For you it may be to finish work at 3pm and pick up your children from school at least three times a week, taking your family on an overseas holiday once a year or being able to work from home.
I am a big believer in creating your business around your ideal lifestyle and not the other way round. Yes I know, most business owners started a business and the lifestyle had to fit around that. It might seem hard to make drastic changes, but you can still adjust your business step by step to get closer to your ideal lifestyle every day.
But how do you do that? The good news is, you don’t need a degree in lifestyle engineering (not that there is one).
- Get really clear on what your ideal lifestyle likes like. Best to write it down in every detail.
To help you out, grab the Living Your Ideal Day Template FREE for My Business readers here.
- Now that you have defined your ideal lifestyle, take small steps in your business to help you get there.
- Take some time out to sit back and look at your business from the outside rather than getting bogged down into the details and the daily busyness.
- Say no more often! If your ideal lifestyle means dropping your kids off at school in the mornings, why not say ‘no’ to a business meeting at 8am? If you are clear about your vision and values, it will be much easier to say ‘no’.
One of my clients told me recently that she just couldn’t believe how everything seemed to fall into place and how the ‘stars were aligning’. I believe this happens when you are aligned with your purpose and taking action towards fulfilling it. Sounds too fluffy? Not really.
- Celebrate your successes along the way. When you’ve achieved something, make sure you reward yourself. Your reward can be as big or small as you like – a dinner out with your partner, a day on the beach, a holiday, a new pair of shoes, a block of chocolate.
- If you really hate your business, get a job or build another one (this time with your lifestyle in mind).
Here’s to a kick-butt lifestyle, you deserve it!
Here is also a little video about how to create your ideal lifestyle, check it out, it’s fun!
Franziska Iseli-Hall, small business marketing strategist, author, speaker and founder of Basic Bananas. email@example.comSubscribe to the Podcast